Michelin’s Pilot Sport Cup 2 to exclusively equip the SLS AMG Coupe Black Series
Michelin chose the Geneva Motor Show to present a preview of its new ultra-sporty tyre: The Pilot Sport Cup 2, which will exclusively equip the absolutely stunning Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Black Series. This ultra-high performance tyre is the result of a close cooperation between Michelin and the tuner AMG.
On the same topic
Very demanding AMG specifications
Mercedes-AMG wanted a tyre that reflects the outstanding performance of its new SLS Coupe Black Series. The specifications were very demanding. To be approved, the tyre should have the following qualities:
- Consistent performance: The tyre offers the same handling qualities whether the driver is taking to the track with cold tyres or leaving it with heated tyres;
- Faster response: Tyre responsiveness is improved so that drivers get the most out of the sporty engine and chassis;
- Maximum grip: Grip is pushed to the limit to offer faster lap times;
- Good heat resistance: This condition ensures consistent performance lap after lap;
- Grip, balance and stability on wet surfaces: A flawless performance, even on soaking wet surfaces.
To achieve the best result, teams from Michelin's Technology Centre and engineers from the Stuttgart based car manufacturer, worked hand in hand for several months. More than 100 evaluations and test sessions, 1,800 prototypes and special series tyres, and 800 industrial pre-series tyres were required to reach the right performance balance... Michelin has fulfilled its contract: The Pilot Sport Cup 2 will exclusively equip the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Black Series.
SLS AMG Coupe Black Series: GT3 performance for the road
This is the latest version of the SLS AMG. It is 70kg lighter (1 550 kg), has an additional 60 hp (its 6.3 litre V8 engine generates 631 hp), its power to weight ratio drops to 2.45kg/hp allowing it to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.6 seconds and reach a top speed of 315 km/h. To keep this raw power under control, the Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series features a special running gear, a ceramic composite brake system, lightweight forged wheels, a limited slip differential and an optimised dual clutch transmission.
Motorsport derived technology
From a technical point of view, Michelin has built on its motorsport experience.
Tread design. The Pilot Sport Cup 2 integrates Bi-Compound technology, which allows two different rubber compounds to be used for the tread. For the outer tread, the rubber is made with a “high molecular weight” elastomer that delivers exceptional dry grip on curves. For the inner tread, the rubber uses a more rigid elastomer to ensure guidance and steering precision.
Belt. The Pilot Sport Cup 2 has a belt made from aramide, a high density fibre offering a high tensile strength. It locks the tyre structure and makes the belt practically inelastic. At high speed, the centrifugal force is perfectly controlled and the tyre’s footprint remains constant.
Contact patch. Michelin has perfected the Variable Contact Patch technology, already used for the Pilot Super Sport, to optimise pressure in the tyre’s contact area. Result: There is always more rubber in contact with the road, to provide even more grip in curves or tight corners.
Bead region.10% larger than a traditional sports tyre, the bead region has been strengthened with a high modulus rubber that increases the tyre’s lateral stiffness and delivers a sporty response and exceptional steering precision.
Aesthetics. To make its ultra high performance tyre more attractive, Michelin uses a special tooling process in its moulds (Velvet Technology) to give sidewalls a velvety look.
Articles in the same header
- For its comeback, the Alpine A110 fits Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres
- Michelin and Dunlop tyres for the new Porsche GT3
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 for the Mercedes AMG GT R
- The Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport for the new Maserati Levante
- Bridgestone at the service of the majestic DB11
- The new Ford Focus RS equipped by Michelin
- Kumho chosen for the Dodge Viper ACR 2016
- Honda Civic Type R: which tyre will transfer its power to the ground?
- The Clio RS Trophy shod with Michelin tyres
- A specific Michelin Super Sport for the BMW X6 M