Pirelli develops quiet tyres for Audi
Keen to meet the demands of the automotive market, Pirelli has designed special tyres that can reduce the noise heard inside the car by half. For now, the tyre manufacture is reserving its new technology for some luxury cars from the Audi group.
On the same topic
The reduction of noise levels, both inside and outside the car, meets a growing demand of the automotive market. It also addresses European regulations to reduce noise pollution. External rolling noise is one of the three criteria for European tyre labelling.
This trend has inspired Pirelli to design “quiet” tyres as part of a partnership with the Audi group. The Milan-based firm has developed a specific technology (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System) that can reduce the noise heard inside the vehicle. It involves applying a polyurethane sponge inside the tyre to absorb resonance noise due to vibrations of the tyre structure.
According to Pirelli, the system reduces noise heard inside the car by 2 to 3 decibels depending on speed, i.e. an average noise reduction of 50%
To date, Pirelli only offers two tyre sizes for luxury models from the Audi group:>> 275/30ZR21 (98Y)XL PZero for the Audi RS7
>> 285/30ZR21 (100Y)XL PZero for the Audi RS6
“Quiet” tyres are identified with the PNCS (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System) letters on the sidewall.
Articles in the same header
- Urban Crossover: a prototype tyre for the Lexus UX concept
- Hankook Tire becomes a new sponsor of Real Madrid
- IntelliGrip: Goodyear’s proposal for the first autonomous vehicles
- Goodyear Eagle-360: when fiction becomes reality
- Goodyear TripleTube: no shortage of air for this three-in-one tyre
- The 2016 Pirelli calendar has arrived!
- The three stripes brand continues to adhere to Conti
- Toyota C-HR: connected by tyres
- Discover the first photos from the new 2015 Pirelli calendar
- Bridgestone is set to revolutionise the Runflat tyre