IntelliGrip Urban: another concept tyre for Goodyear
After presenting the Eagle 360, the new version of its spherical tyre, Goodyear surprised us with a second unexpected concept: the IntelliGrip Urban. Designed for urban electric vehicle fleets, this tyre could become a reality in the not too distant future.
Goodyear is on a roll with concept tyres! Alongside the new version of the Eagle 360, the American giant has unveiled the IntelliGrip Urban, a tyre for autonomous electric vehicles intended to give us a glimpse into the brand’s “near” future. The design might look conventional, but the IntelliGrip is in fact a smart tyre equipped with built-in sensors.
The tyre will support autonomous vehicle control systems and improve passenger safety by analysing road and weather conditions. The data collected is sent directly to the vehicle's computer system and used to optimise speed, braking, handling and stability while communicating with other vehicles.
Better tyre management
Although the IntelliGrip has no self-healing properties, it uses “preventative maintenance” to anticipate problems before they occur and proactively warn the vehicle owner. This “all-in-one” solution should help to improve fleet management and reduce operating costs thanks to longer tyre life.
The IntelliGrip’s tall and narrow shape promises lower rolling resistance, increasing the autonomy of electric vehicles while improving aquaplaning performance. This design has allowed Goodyear to decrease the number of grooves on the tyre, extending tyre life and reducing noise levels. With the Intelligrip Urban, the American manufacturer claims to have designed a tyre that can deliver optimum grip in both summer and winter conditions.
Articles in the same header
- Goodyear CityCube: a concept tyre for the Toyota i-TRIL
- Pirelli Connesso: an app that gives you the real-time status of your tyres
- The Pirelli P Zero: now available in colour
- Eagle 360 Urban: the new version of Goodyear’s concept tyre
- Pirelli calendar: third time for Peter Lindbergh
- Urban Crossover: a prototype tyre for the Lexus UX concept
- Hankook Tire becomes a new sponsor of Real Madrid
- IntelliGrip: Goodyear’s proposal for the first autonomous vehicles
- Goodyear Eagle-360: when fiction becomes reality
- Goodyear TripleTube: no shortage of air for this three-in-one tyre