When checking the state of your tyres, you find that casing has partially or totally separated. The crown plies have separated from the tread.
This may be due to:
- Prolonged driving with an insufficient tyre pressure and/or an excessive load (possibly the load index is too low)
- Previous damage that has not been repaired and has become worse (kerb impacts for example)
To remedy this, it is recommended to:
- Immediately withdraw the tyre from service
- Check that the tyre is suitable for its use (dimensions, load index…)
- Avoid excessive loads and weigh each axle to determine the right pressure, based on the manufacturer’s recommendations and the vehicle’s use
- Check the state of your tyres regularly to repair any damage in good time, before it gets worse and becomes irreversible.
Things to know
When a tyre is subjected to excessive loads it overheats, particularly the upper part of the tread, which causes separation of plies.
Tyres on trailers or semi-trailers are particularly concerned by this type of damage due to scuffing when vehicles drive around town.