The Ferrari 599 GTO shod with Michelins!
The 599 GTO is the Ferrari of all superlatives. A full-blown « Omologato » racing car, proud to be the Ferrari’s fastest road car ever built! Radical, demanding, while maintaining an ounce of all-roundability, it is a sort of Xtra Large version of theFerrari F430 Scuderia.
On the same topic
To achieve this result, the excellent base « 599 GTB » has been radicalised with a certain subtlety and lots of coherence.
First of all, the engine, the anthologically famous V12, with special preparation work carried out notably on the air induction and exhaust systems in order to offer the 670 bhp, which on song puts out quite a hallucinating growl. Difficult to imagine that it can be type approved in this configuration.
Of course, a lot of weight-saving work has been carried out to save 100 kilos on the scale (total weight: 1600 kilos) not forgetting the notable changes to the running gear, enabling it to lap the Fiorano track in 1 minute 24 seconds. Note that the very extreme Ferrari Enzo takes 1 minute 25 seconds for the same exercise.
To reach this level of performance, the quality of the tyres is of prime importance, and it is Michelin who was called in to the rescue to keep this beauty in contact with the road.
Shod with 285/30 ZR 20 at the front, and 315/35 ZR 20 at the rear, it benefits from rubber specially developed jointly by the Michelin engineers and the department responsible for running gear at Ferrari. This partnership means that there is high coherence between the different components, guaranteeing the performance of the 599 GTO.
Technically speaking, these tyres are outstanding by their extremely light weight (10 and 15 kilos), affording a savings of 10 % in relation to rival tyres of the same dimensions.
This weight-saving makes for a reduction in unsuspended weight and contributes to the agility of the car.
The tyre has the advantage of being composed of 3 different rubbers, with no less than 2 for the tread:
- A track type rubber for the walls aimed at giving excellent grip under harsh cornering.
- A special rubber for the centre developed for very high speed strength.
- An interior rubber which combined with the tyre architecture increases the rubber surface on the ground
Articles in the same header
- Tyre manufacturers in motorsport: who does what?
- Sports tyres: our selection for 2014/2015
- Pirelli Pzero and Trofeo R: Rezulteo’s test
- Pirelli Trofeo R, the test on video
- The Le Mans 24 Hours: Michelin bring us as close as possible to the race
- Michelin sets a new record with the Seat Leon Cupra R at Nürburgring
- Pirelli: Formula 1 official tyre supplier for the next three years
- Apollo Tyres creates a spoiler for the Porsche 911 Turbo
- Michelin: supplier for the new Porsche Macan
- Michelin will develop special Le Mans tyres for the Nissan Zeod RC