It's time to move on to Summer tyres
A good rule of thumb is to remove your winter tyres when the clocks change in spring. But, before fitting your summer tyres, check them for any signs of wear; it’s perhaps time to change them. In any case, don’t forget to adjust the tyre pressure. As for your winter tyres, make sure they are stored properly to find them in good condition for next winter.
On the same topic
When to remove winter tyres?
Winter tyres are designed to deliver maximum performance at low temperatures. Professionals recommend fitting them as soon as the average temperature drops below 7°C. Similarly, when spring arrives and temperatures increase, summer tyres are more efficient. When should you change them? An easy date to remember is when the clocks change to summer time.
What to do with winter tyres in summer?
To maintain their full potential, winter tyres must be stored properly. For temperature, humidity and storage conditions, certain rules must be respected. A practical solution if you are struggling to find space: Store your tyres at a fitting centre. Several retailers offer this service.
Finish off winter tyres in summer?
You won’t get another season out of your winter tyres. The tread grooves are not deep enough (tyre manufacturer’s recommend at least 4mm), but you find it difficult to scrap these half-worn tyres. Is it dangerous to “finish” them off in summer? Not necessarily, say the specialists. In fact, as winter tyres wear, their performances are similar to those of a summer tyre.
Perhaps it’s time to change your tyres…
At the end of winter, check the general state of your summer tyres. Level of wear, the differences in wear between two tyres on the same axle, irregular wear, punctures or deformations: If your tyres show any of these signs, then change them immediately.
Adjust the pressure of summer tyres
After spending several months in storage, your summer tyres will not be correctly inflated. Before driving with them, their pressure must be adjusted. Afterwards, get into the habit of checking tyre pressure once a month.
Articles in the same header
- Rezulteo’s test: Are Pirelli’s winter tyres compatible with high performance vehicles?
- Winter tyre : can one drive with in Summer
- Summer tyres versus winter tyres: comparing acceleration on the snow
- Dunlop Winter Sport 5, a new winter sports tyre
- The top best all season tyres for 2015 / 2016
- A tyre that changes colour when it’s time to switch to winter tyres
- The top best winter tyres for 2015/2016
- Top 8 best winter tyres for 2014/2015
- 10 things to know about winter tyres
- Nokian invents a winter tyre with retractable studs