Dunlop Winter Sport 5, a new winter sports tyre
Recently launched on the market, the Dunlop Winter Sport 5 has already made a name for itself by winning several winter tyre comparison tests. Let’s present this newcomer now available for sale.
On the same topic
1st in the Auto Bild Performance test (225 40R18), 1st in the Auto Bild SUV test (215 65R16), 2nd in the Auto Express test (225 45R17) and 2nd in the ACE test (205 50R17): the Dunlop Winter Sport 5’s career is off to an impressive start.
In replacement of the SP Winter Sport 4D, this 5th opus is designed for drivers looking for a winter tyre offering a strong dynamic performance. On the other hand, the Dunlop SP Winter Response 2, available in the same dimensions as the Winter Sport 5, has a more neutral positioning thus protecting them from any competition. In short, the Sport 5 is for vehicles offering high performance and / or a fast drive, and the Response 2 is for more conventional vehicles and uses.
Why is it more efficient?
In theory, each tyre that is launched on the market is more efficient than the tyre it replaces. Technological advances allow rubber compounds to progress and help push back certain technical limits.
The result of a careful design process, the Winter Sport 5 has made significant progress on certain performances compared with its predecessor. The most important of which:
- The tread design has a significant number of tread blocks providing a bigger contact patch which improves grip on wet and snowy roads. Work has focused on the angled centre sipes to improve grip and traction in snow.
- Wide grooves have been developed to improve safety on wet roads (aquaplaning resistance) and the evacuation of snow.
- Rolling resistance reaps the benefits of a lighter tyre structure.
The Winter Sport 5 is now available on the market for rim diameters ranging from 15 to 19 inches. Available widths range from 195 to 245 mm for a sidewall aspect ratio from 40 to 65.
Articles in the same header
- Winter tyre : can one drive with in Summer
- Summer tyres versus winter tyres: comparing acceleration on the snow
- The top best all season tyres for 2015 / 2016
- A tyre that changes colour when it’s time to switch to winter tyres
- The top best winter tyres for 2015/2016
- Top 8 best winter tyres for 2014/2015
- 10 things to know about winter tyres
- Nokian invents a winter tyre with retractable studs
- Goodyear demonstrates the importance of winter tyres
- Track'N'Go: Forget winter tyres and snow chains