A tyre that changes colour when it’s time to switch to winter tyres
Many drivers are unaware that winter tyres may be needed even when roads are not covered in snow. Canadian Tire suggests an interesting solution to illustrate this.
On the same topic
Take the temperature
In general, drivers imagine that snow tyres must be fitted in winter, but many make the mistake of thinking that they are only needed when roads are covered in snow. By design, a tyre is developed depending on the temperature in which it is used: A summer tyre is developed to deliver optimal performance in mild or warm temperatures, but becomes much less efficient when the temperature drops below 7 degrees Celsius. Below this temperature, the rubber hardens: Braking distances are longer, grip is less reassuring when cornering and it is more prone to sliding. In these conditions, winter tyres must be used to deliver the best possible performance.
Colour as an indicator
Canadian Tire has therefore thought of a simple solution which would tell consumers when conditions dictate that winter tyres are needed. Given that a recent study found that 80% of Canadians were unaware that a summer tyre or an all-season tyre is less efficient when temperatures drop below 7 degrees, they have developed a tyre that changes colour based on the temperature: When the sidewalls are white, the tyre (all seasons in this case) is within its operating window. But when its sidewalls turn blue, the temperature has dropped below 7°C. Therefore, to get the best possible performance, it is best to fit real winter tyres. A simple solution to raise awareness among consumers on the importance of fitting tyres adapted to the weather conditions?
Articles in the same header
- Winter tyre : can one drive with in Summer
- Summer tyres versus winter tyres: comparing acceleration on the snow
- Dunlop Winter Sport 5, a new winter sports tyre
- The top best all season tyres for 2015 / 2016
- The top best winter tyres for 2015/2016
- Top 8 best winter tyres for 2014/2015
- 10 things to know about winter tyres
- Nokian invents a winter tyre with retractable studs
- Goodyear demonstrates the importance of winter tyres
- Track'N'Go: Forget winter tyres and snow chains