Uniroyal RainSport 3: the return of the rain tyre
To present its new RainSport 3, tyre manufacturer Uniroyal invited us to an aquarium. A choice justified by the technology incorporated in this tyre, directly inspired from a shark’s skin.
On the same topic
To launch the most extreme tyre in its range, tyre manufacturer Uniroyal invited us to Valencia in Spain, one of the hottest regions in Europe. A paradox from the tyre manufacturer who claims to have invented the rain tyre, but a choice justified during the press conference held in an aquarium, in the midst of sharks. The proximity of these creatures aiming to establish the link between the large predator and the technology featured in this tyre.
An aggressive tread design
However, the RainSport 3 is not uni-dimensional, and is not limited to wet surfaces. It aims to deliver true dynamic qualities and sporty sensations, as attested by the rigid tread blocks on the shoulder.
The Shark Skin Technology (SST)
Uniroyal, who purports to be the inventor of the rain tyre, marks an important milestone in its history with the RainSport 3, which features a technology to drain water, directly inspired from a shark’s skin. A solution that exists in the swimming world with the famous Speedo swimsuit, no longer authorised in competitions since it gives a significant advantage to swimmers who use it.
The Shark Skin Technology is defined by the intricate tread design in the grooves of the tyre. This technology aims to accelerate water drainage and reduce flow turbulence. It has even been awarded the IF product design award 2014.
The Uniroyal RainSport 3 is available in 106 different sizes for 14 to 21 inch wheel rims, 13 of which are specially designed for SUV’s.
Articles in the same header
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S: a new benchmark sports tyre?
- Continental CrossContact ATR: long live diversity!
- Sport and comfort with Continental’s new PremiumContact 6
- Roadhawk, the new Firestone tyre delivering long lasting performance
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T 001: the all-season tyre family is growing
- Firestone renews its commercial van tyre with the Vanhawk 2
- The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S takes sports performance a step further
- Avon renews its winter range with the WV7 and WT7
- Cinturato Winter, Pirelli’s adaptive winter tyre
- The new Pirelli P Zero, evolution or revolution?