Ultragrip 8 Performance: Goodyear’s high performance winter tyre
Goodyear introduces the Ultragrip 8 Performance, a high performance winter tyre adapted to cold and wet driving conditions. This tyre incorporates Goodyear’s latest innovative technology to offer a reduced risk of aquaplaning and deliver superior handling, grip and braking on snow and ice.
On the same topic
European drivers expect winter tyres to deliver high performance in terms of road holding, braking and grip, as well as providing good vehicle control in snow: Such are the findings of a recent study conducted by Goodyear on its consumer’s expectations. These findings have served as the basis to develop Goodyear’s new high performance winter tyre: The Ultragrip 8 Performance.
Taking advantage of the latest innovations, the Ultragrip 8 Performance delivers outstanding grip and braking performance in all winter conditions; from snow and ice to wet and dry. Particularly suitable for sports cars, this tyre offers superb high speed driving stability.
Significant performance gains
Subjected to tests to compare its performances with the average performance of three leading competitors on snow, the Ultragrip 8 Performance proves its value on snow:
- 6% shorter braking distance on snow
- 3% better handling performance on snow
- 2% more resistance to aquaplaning
Tests conducted by TÜV SÜD, the testing and certification body, in March 2012 at Ivalo (Finland) and Mireval (France). Tested dimensions: 225/45 R17 94V fitted to an Audi A3 1.8 TFSI Sportback.
Furthermore, the Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance has already been tested by several European car magazines. Each time, it claims a podium thanks to the excellent results it obtains on snow covered roads.
Handling and braking in snow
The Ultragrip 8 Performance features a full silica tread compound that maintains the tyre’s elasticity at low temperatures while keeping its stiffness over a broad temperature range.
The Goodyear UltraGrip 8 Performance combines three different types of sipes (standard, hybrid and 3D sipes) to offer better handling performance on snow. The high density full depth hybrid blades guarantee efficiency throughout the tyre’s life. And, the numerous biting edges ensure good traction in snow.
With its saw-shaped central rib, the UltraGrip 8 Performance delivers shorter braking distances on snow. The variable edged angle of this rib improves the tyre’s snow traction. Wide shoulder grooves effectively clear slush. Finally, the higher net contact area at the centre of the tread and the larger footprint offers improved braking and more control on ice.
Grip and road holding on wet roads
On wet roads, the directional tread with Hydro-Dynamic grooves clears water away from both sides of the tyre to reduce the risk of aquaplaning and provide exceptional road holding.
The UltraGrip8 Performance is available in 38 sizes (from 195/65 R15 H to 255/50 R19 V XL), for 15 to 19-inch wheels, with H and V speed ratings.
Articles in the same header
- Yokohama presents two new winter tyres for its BluEarth and IceGuard ranges
- Apollo launches two new tyres for the European market at Geneva
- Yokohama announces the return of the A008P
- Ecorun A-A: Falken unveils its tyre for Toyota hybrid vehicles
- Yokohama extends its BluEarth range with two new summer tyres
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S: a new benchmark sports tyre?
- Continental CrossContact ATR: long live diversity!
- Sport and comfort with Continental’s new PremiumContact 6
- Roadhawk, the new Firestone tyre delivering long lasting performance
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T 001: the all-season tyre family is growing