Michelin Pilot Alpin 4: An ultra-high performance winter tyre for sports coupes and saloons
Michelin’s new sports winter tyre, the Pilot Alpin 4, promises a safer drive, more control and greater mobility. It comes with a completely redesigned tread pattern, 3D sipes, and a new rubber compound: The tyre manufacturer has drawn on all its expertise to provide the best performance balance. We got the chance to test this tyre on ice-covered tracks in Latvia behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and a Mercedes E 63 AMG.
On the same topic
Successor of the Pilot Alpin 3, the Pilot Alpin 4 is an ultra-high performance winter tyre that forms part of Michelin’s sports tyre range. It targets high performance saloons and sports coupes that require irreproachable grip whatever the road conditions: Dry, wet, snow or ice covered roads.
Safety in all situations
The Pilot Alpin 4 promises high performance for the following:
- Safety: Enhanced braking and grip when cornering;
- Mobility: Excellent traction on slippery roads;
- Control: Exceptional handling on all type of road surfaces and when changing lanes.
- Not forgetting the longevity, that has always been Michelin’s strong point.
These qualities meet motorist’s expectations as confirmed by Michelin through a study completed by more than 4 000 motorists in Germany, France, Russia, Sweden and Canada. For car manufacturers that have made safety a fundamental value, these qualities also meet their requirements.
The new Michelin Pilot Alpin 4’s Performance
TÜV SÜD, an independent test organisation has been given the task of conducting performance tests on Michelin’s new tyre. The tests used 245/40 R 18 V tyres, bought on the European market in November 2011. Here are some of the main findings.
Safety. The Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 brakes 2 metres shorter than its main competitors on wet roads (on average when braking from 50 mph to a complete standstill).
Control. The Pilot Alpin 4 provides better grip when cornering on snow and handles better than its main competitors on wet roads.
Mobility. The Pilot Alpin 4 delivers more traction on snow and ice than its main competitors.
Tyres similar to the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4
|Continental||ContiWinterContact TS 830 P|
|Dunlop||SP Winter Sport 4D|
|Pirelli||Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II|
|Goodyear||UltraGrip Performance 2|
- Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 : Tyre sizes
- Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 : The rezulteo test
- Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 : Technology
A directional tread design for Porsche
The Michelin Pilot Alpin A4 series tyre has an asymmetric tread design suitable for most cars. A directional version is also available for Porsche vehicles. This tyre, developed in partnership with the German car manufacturer, is available for 19” and 20” rims. It targets cars with staggered fit tyres.
Articles in the same header
- Hankook Dynapro HP2: A high performance summer tyre for SUVs
- GoodYear EfficientGrip Compact: A safe, economical summer tyre for city cars
- Nokian zLine, Line and eLine: The Finnish tyre manufacturer launches three new summer tyres
- Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002: Tests at the Ascari race track
- Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002: Sport tyre for city and compact cars
- Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance: Track test
- Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance: A touring tyre with a BA label rating
- Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R: A sleekly designed ultra-high performance tyre
- Dunlop Sport BluResponse: A touring tyre with a high label rating
- Pirelli PZero Nero GT: A sports tyre suitable for a wide range of cars